Uninstall or Remove CM 2012 client using CCMClean exe

Since SMS 2003 days, we’re using CCMClean.exe to uninstall or remove the client components. Removing/Uninstalling ConfigMgr 2007 or 2012 clients using CCMClean.exe is not supported by Microsoft. “Not supported by Microsoft” !! So, what does that mean ? Well, it’s not tested (extensively) and certified by Microsoft for the products ConfigMgr 2007/2012. However, it may or may not work. In my experience, the CCMClean.exe is able to successfully remove/uninstall ConfigMgr/SCCM 2007 and 2012 client components. Smile More details below……

Download – CCMClean.exe (Download SMS 2003 toolkit and run it to install all the files – go to the installation directory, it includes CCMClean.exe )

We can run the CCMClean.exe on remote machines using PSEXEC.exe. You should have administrative privileges on that remote machine.

image

The command line parameters which can be used with CCMClean.exe.

Try and check out using “CCMClean.exe /?”

Silent install –> ccmclean.exe /q

image

I’ve tested CCMClean.exe on SCCM / ConfigMgr 2012 client and it did work perfectly !!!

a) Verify the CCMClean.log file to get more details

Log file location = “C:\Users\administrator\appdata\local\temp” OR %temp%

image

b) Check the event log for some more details or confirmation

image

c) CCM registry entry has been REMOVED

image

d) SMS Agent Host service has been REMOVED

image

e) WMI namespaces (root\ccm and root\cimv2\SMS) have been REMOVED

imageimage

Comments

comments

Posted in: CM2012, ConfigMgr (SCCM), Configmgr2012, SCCM, SCCM 2012, Tools

36 Comments

1. Michiel Overweel says:

Why bother if “ccmsetup.exe /uninstall” does the job as well, and *is* supported?

2. Prabhat Joshi says:

I agree with Anoop on this , ccmclean is more effective and cleans the WMI and registry traces from the machine .

3. I had removed sccm client though ccmclean.exe in sccm 2007 updated client as found it worked.

4. Young Pae says:

Thanks for this. BTW, ccmsetup.exe /forceinstall is added for SCCM 2012 SP1. Do you think /forceinstall is strong enough so that we don’t have to run ccmclean.exe, reboot then try re-install?

5. hi Pae,
    you dont have to run ccmelean.exe,with SP1, existing client will be uninstalled and then a new client will be installed.

6. TGH says:

I would NEVER use ccmsetup.exe /uninstall – never clears out everything fully, CCMClean is by a long distance the best tool for this job.

7. Harry says:

I am new to SCCM .I have uninstall the client .Can you please help me to install the client again on server .

8. Raman Katoch says:

I am getting error messages after running the “ccmclean.exe /Client” , error1. “failed to connect to namespace root\ccm\softwareMeteringAgent(80070422) , error2. “failed to open to WMI namespace ‘\\.\root\ccm\SoftwareMeterringAgent’ (80070422) , error3. Failed to run command line “”C:\windows\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe” /uninstall” (740)

Though i have already Run Ccmsetup.exe /uinstall , i have SCCM2012 environment… but ccmsetup.log showing me following lines:
    “Unable to delete file C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\ccmsetup.exe (0x80070005). Continuing.
    Failed to clean ccmsetup files for uninstallation.
    Task ‘Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Task’ does not exist
    CcmSetup is exiting with return code 0″

so i thought it may not uninstalled in a proper way then i came across your article.

9. Raman Katoch says:

Thanks Anoop for your quick response, Appreciate it !!!

10. Richard Davies says:

Hi Anoop, I am trying to fix a problem with the MP and BITS Server Extension on my site server and after several deinstall/reinstall cycles of BITS, MP and client I’m now just desperate enough to try uninstalling the client with ccmclean.exe rather than the ‘supported’ methods. Is there any issue with running it on an SCCM 2012 site server, with the /client switch?

Thanks

Rich

11. Chad says:

Worked like a change. Thank you.

12. Tom says:

Thank you, this worked like a charm. I had a machine that ccmsetup.exe (2007) /uninstall did nothing, manually removed the client but the 2012 install always failed. Ran this few times for gave some errors first time, then tried the 2012 install and boom! Took 2 days of work and so simple solution in the end.

13. Stian says:

Hi! I had to uninstall a lot of configmgr clients, and they still appear as installed in the configmgr console. I’ve confirmed that they are uninstalled :)
    Is there any way I can force a “cleaning” of the repository so that they appear as uninstalled?

14. Shashank Bhatt says:

Hi Anoop,

Could you please give me the command line to uninstall client remotely through ccmclean.exe via psexec

15. Javed says:

Hi Anoop,

We are facing a unique issue with windows 8 systems. We have SCCM 2012 SP1 installed in the organization.

Whren we push SCCM client on windows 8 systems, after a few minutes / hours the SCCM client uninstalls automatically.

Have checked the ccmsetup.log and it shows that the command ccmsetup.exe /uninstall has been initiated.

The issue is that we have not initiated any uninstall command on the client neither manually nor from the console.

This issue is happenning on all WIndows 8.1 systems.
    Don’t know what the issue is ? Can you please help ?

Regards,
    JD

16. Anoop says:

JD ! – Have you checked the Group Policies and Event logs that may give you some more idea to troubleshoot ! Regards
    Anoop

• Javed says:

Hi Anoop,

Thanks for the reply, I have checked the Group Policies & Event logs, nothing over there.

During trouble shooting i discovered that in our SCCM environment we have SCCM SP1 CU4. But all the clients were at version 5.00.7804.1000 whereas they should be 5.00.7804.1500. Also client version 5.00.7804.1000 is not supported on Windows 8.1.

So I deployed 5.00.7804.1500 on couple of Windows 8.1 systems but still the client gets uninstalled.

When I check the ccmsetup.log the commandline used is “\\\client$\ccmsetup.exe /uninstall”

As a workaround I have removed the share client$ . Can you tell me if this share is required or not and will there be any adverse affect of removing it ?

Keeping it under observation.

Regards,
      JD

• Anoop says:

I’m sure that Client$ share something specific to your environment. Where is this Client$ share located ? Is it in SCCM server or SCCM Client machine?

Regards
        Anoop

17. Javed says:

The commandline used is “\\sccmservername\client$\ccmsetup.exe /uninstall”

• Javed says:

The folder that was shared as client$ is “D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\Client ” . It is on the SCCM primary server. Do we have a client folder at this location and is it shared by default ?

JD

• Anoop says:

No. If I’m not wrong. This is a custom share, which somebody must have created. Also there could be some packages or applications running from SCCM console.

18. Wayne says:

Hi I keep getting this on install of sccm I can’t see the client installed anywhere. “You cannot install the management point on a computer with an earlier version of the Configuration Manager client installed. Upgrade the client to the current version, remove the client, or select a different computer for the management point installation, and then try again”

2007 is installed on another server this is a fresh primary site 2012 install it allows me to carry on the install but then there’s no MP